16 Apr 2012

BLOG: THE VOICE


The Voice UK has just completed the Blind Auditions stage on BBC One, and I have to say I have been totally impressed. Impressed with the performances, the coaches and certainly the show's format and concept. When I first heard of the show as it started in America, I thought it was just 'another singing competition'. And I suppose literally it is but it's very different and, more importantly, it's better.

It's not just the fact that the coaches have their backs turned to make looks and style irrelevant, but the show focuses on finding and nurturing talented vocalists, and eventually producing artists from them. It sounds obvious enough but there really isn't a show like it around. The coaches are genuine coaches, each with a different flavour for sure, but all sharing priceless experience and wisdom of both the industry and music as an art. Their passion and values lie with the goodness of what music is all about and it comes through, along with their individual oozing personalities which work so well together (and indeed against each other too). All of these combine to make The Voice real, exciting, meaningful and engaging for me; like you'd think an hour and a half with no ad breaks every Saturday night would be a struggle to focus throughout, but I have, and I've genuinely enjoyed it.

What happens now with the auditions over I'm still not quite sure, but it's so far so good and I'm super looking forward to the weekend. And if it was ever a comparison, I know I'm not watching The X Factor again. That shit's old.

No comments:

Post a Comment