23 May 2012

DIARY: JFC LONDON FIRST U8 TOURNAMENT

It's a big summer for us at JFC with tournaments galore, spanning across all age groups for the very first time. I've been training my 6-8 year old boys for a couple of years now and I think I've been doing good things. Last weekend my U8s made our competitive debut, taking part in a very well organised local grassroots tournament.

I left feeling quite disappointed, not sure what had just happened. We failed to win any games and the boys just didn't perform. They seemed constantly distracted and I don't think they understood the significance of the stage they were at. On the pitch there was simply no desire, no fight, and most worryingly no emotion. It was a real challenge. Admittedly we did get better in the latter games, showing a little more of what I have gotten so used to seeing from them. It's a shame.

I'm still a young coach, in fact I was actually drafted into becoming one out of my control, and whilst I've thoroughly enjoyed doing it and I know I have developed much as a football person and person person too, I realise my learning curve is still quite premature. I'll have to mull over where we're at and make sure we're stronger, because the U8s have one more tournament next month, as well as an opportunity for the U7s too. I'm not one to hide from a challenging task, but it does feel like quite a setback. Need to fucking bring it.

No comments:

Post a Comment