25 Sept 2012

DIARY: A TALK BY HEATHERWICK STUDIO

I went into uni for the first time this year, to attend a talk by a Goldsmiths graduate of Heatherwick Studio, Mr Neil Hubbard. Entitled "Making Up Things", it gave a fascinating insight into how the design studio has grown over the years, highlighting certain projects and their makings. Founded almost 20 years ago by Thomas Heatherwick, they've produced some incredible things including the London 2012 Olympic cauldron, the new bus of London which has just been commissioned by TfL for a massive 600 vehicles, and the UK Pavilion at Shanghai Expo 2010, just to name a few. He also showed us the workings of a current project to build a bridge in the Chinese city of Jiading. This project is jaw-droppingly amazing, like genuinely.

I have been totally inspired today. Neil started out as an intern, which subsequently led to a position on the full team and is in fact now the 4th longest serving member at the firm. I too will have the opportunity to get placements during my course in the coming year or two, which is just too exciting really. I can only hope to impress where I can and take my chance, just like Neil did.

No comments:

Post a Comment