26 Mar 2013

DIARY: THE WEEKND LIVE AT ELECTRIC BALLROOM




For the second time, I enjoyed seeing The Weeknd play live in London following his appearance at Wireless last summer. His show this weekend was one of four in a row at the Electric Ballroom in Camden, the final few intimate shows before the release of his full debut album and tour, which includes a date at the O2 where I will again be watching in November. And going by what I experienced on Sunday, it's going to be massive.

His set was a good hour of tunes taken from the superb trilogy of mixtapes, including almost every track off "House of Balloons", which is my favourite by miles so already it was money well spent. Some amazing music in that first mixtape and Abel and his tight band killed it. Most artists nowadays perform with a live band, and for me it's really a must, and The Weeknd was a supreme example. He commanded the crowd and the stage, almost conducting the instrumentalists around him with some raw arrangements, and I know I'm biased but I just love the beat of a drum. These guys have an exceptional sense of musicality, right on point, and I look forward to whatever they're conjuring up for us next with great expectation. It was a good show.

No comments:

Post a Comment