12 Aug 2012

DIARY: TOUGH GOODBYE

This morning was our final JFC lesson for the summer. (I say final but we're only off for two weeks.) And with that also marked a key departure for one of my boys, as he and his family will be returning to Japan later this month. That's the way it is in this community, as most families come to London on a temporary basis following the father's business, kids come and go often quite quickly.

In this boy's case, I've coached him for maybe one or two years, and I've loved it to bits. We're not really allowed to have favourites as coaches, but he was definitely that. Of course in football terms, he has a superb natural ability and desire in his play that contributes to a lot, but it's his character that I've come to enjoy so much. And that's what I will miss most. But I'm glad to have become such a mentor for him, and the time from that Countryside Sleepover last month was brilliant to bond away the football pitch, as was the case with all my boys.

I had a nice chat with his mother before they left, took some photographs and said goodbye. Perhaps I'll visit him at his next football club when I'm in Tokyo, because I'd love to see how he grows further. Great kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment