1 Sept 2012

DIARY: PARALYMPICS OPENING CEREMONY

At about 3pm on the day of the Opening Ceremony for the London 2012 Paralympic Games, my Games Maker mother gave me a call to say she had gotten her hands on a pair of tickets. And how grateful I was. I too was volunteering during the Olympics, and away from the action at the Rowing Village in Surrey, which meant I didn't get the chance to see the venues and feel the buzz. So I was desperate to go somewhere, anywhere.

Sure the show itself was kind of naff, and applauding the competing teams into the stadium for a long two hours isn't the most entertaining thing, but to be a part of the 80,000-strong army of enthusiastic, welcoming and patriotic supporters was special. The minute Great Britain was introduced, the place went wild and what a moment. I absolutely loved it. Add to that the live fireworks, the royals sat just a few rows behind me, seeing Birdy perform and watching the beautiful cauldron alight, it was a magnificent occasion.

#GoParalympicsGB












No comments:

Post a Comment