29 Jun 2013

DIARY: JUNE KO


June has been tough. Probably stretched to my limits of work and energy, I feel drained. My work placement started this month, which has had me endure 6am mornings, a two hour commute and eyes on screen the entire time. As a result, I return home only to eat up and fall into bed; it fucking hurts to keep my eyes open. Now this wouldn't be so bad if I still had my off days, time to focus on other things and rest regularly (I mean let's face it, people work much crazier schedules, I know). But unfortunately for me, it's like every aspect of work in my life has climaxed simultaneously, meaning my so-called off days have been occupied as much as I am whilst on placement. Our summer tournament schedule has seen my football duties take over my weekend (on top of Victate shenanigans) and some design work I'd been busy with last month has kinda dragged on too.

It's a shame too because there's been a lot of exciting things I would have loved to post up here that have just gone by. I wanted to write more about the tournament action our boys took part in, with some performances that simply provided the pinnacle of pride as a Coach; I wanted to write about a certain Leah McFall; and you missed a very special arrival from NikeiD I've been eager to share. No reason why that can't still come though. It's a good one!

Basically, I've been an overworked wreck and I cannot wait for it to let up.

Today was actually a good day, amazing in fact, because it was my first real off day that I'd so been craving for something stupid like 4 or 5 weeks. The first day I woke up without an alarm, the first day I could chill out to my music, the first day I've been into central for ages! I live in the north of London and my work is in southeast, so I essentially do pass central London but only via the train and the only sights I get to see are the dirty black walls of the underground tunnels. Not quite the scenic view.

Anyway I had to savour this day and enjoy every minute because I can't see my next off day coming any time soon. I got to visit my usual destinations from Seven Dials, through Soho to Carnaby and even to Selfridges today. I finally got to run some well-overdue errands and indeed check out the sales (that seem to be finishing already to my surprise). I made quite a few purchases, more than usual, almost as if to compensate for my lack of attendance and release my frustrations haha – retail therapy in its most literal sense. Notably, I bought some cool things at Muji including their collarless linen shirt that's perfect for the weather right now. I also bought the latest issue of Kinfolk, aside from my regular reads, volume eight of the quarterly publication. Really looking forward to getting stuck into that, more to follow on it for sure. Yeah, a good day it was, finishing up with some rest, internet and music before my work continues on for another two weeks. Woop.

No comments:

Post a Comment