8 Jun 2014

DIARY: FIELD DAY FESTIVAL 2014



After an absolute blast of a time at Field Day last year, it was round two of the London music festival yesterday and I was not disappointed. In East London's own Victoria Park, I spent a glorious day in the beaming sunshine (albeit with two waterproofs wrapped around my waist because I was wrongly informed it would be a shower storm all day...) with good company, sufficient rounds of questionably priced but unavoidable beers and top street food to tickle our taste bids over.

Sky Ferreira, SOHN, Warpaint, Metronomy and SBTRKT were all on my list to see and essentially 'won' the scheduling, what with five simultaneously good stages to manage. For example, I missed out on the likes of Tourist, Jamie Isaac and Jamie xx, all of whom I'd have loved be at. But, nevertheless, I think our choices were good, because every set I saw was brilliant. I was most looking forward to Warpaint, having been listening to their new album a lot and with this being my first attendance for them. Front row, centre, and they smashed it. Sky Ferreira too was a first and I was impressed with the power and volume of her vocals that did her gritty pop numbers justice, accompanied by a band of raw instrumentalists and heavy bass. And, it was obviously great to see SBTRKT back with a live set, joined by Sampha and a few other members of 'band' — a perfect in-tent rave to finish the night. But the most notable of the entire event was that man SOHN, which I have to say was a surprise because I'd only just seen him a month or two ago and, whilst of course I was keen to see him again, I didn't expect to be wowed again. But I really was. I think his sheer talent, or the expression of it on stage, is something overwhelming. The sounds that he creates, the music that he makes up there live in the flesh has such an impact, so memorable, that I couldn't help but feel re-amazed. And I've said it before but his breakdown to the set's finale Lessons is just something else — possibly the best song I've experienced live ever.

So yes. Two out of two, Field Day does it again. 2015 is definitely happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment